Nintendo usually lets Nintendo 3DS owners know when a system update is ready to download, but to check and perform the update manually, you can follow these steps.
- Turn on your Nintendo 3DS.
- Access the "System Settings" menu by tapping the wrench icon on the bottom screen.
- Tap "Other Settings."
- Click the arrow on the right side of the bottom screen until you reach page 4.
- Tap "System Update."
- You will be asked if you want to connect to the Internet and perform a system update. Tap "OK." (Don't forget, you need a wireless internet connection!)
- Read through the Terms of Service and tap "I Accept."
- Tap "OK" to begin the update. Nintendo recommends that you plug your Nintendo 3DS in its AC adapter to keep from losing power in the middle of an update.
- You need a Wi-Fi connection to perform a Nintendo 3DS system update.
- The update might take several minutes to download. If you believe the update is frozen or otherwise "hanging," turn off the Nintendo 3DS and try the update again.
- If you bought your Nintendo 3DS prior to June 6, you will need to perform a system update to gain access to the Nintendo 3DS eShop as well as the handheld's internet browser, and the Nintendo DSi to Nintendo 3DS content transfer.
What You Need
- Nintendo 3DS
- Wi-Fi Internet Connection