Chances are good that you make most of your purchases from the Nintendo 3DS eShop with a credit card or a pre-paid 3DS eShop card. But once in a happy while you may be gifted with a code that will let you download a specific game at no cost to you!
Game codes are usually doled out by game companies as rewards, but you may come across one by another means. Regardless of how you acquire a game code, the redemption process is easy.
Game codes can only be used once. Follow these steps:
1) Turn on your Nintendo 3DS.
2) Make sure you have Wi-Fi enabled.
3) Click on the icon for the Nintendo 3DS eShop.
4) From the eShop’s Main Menu, scroll to the left until you reach the “Settings/Other” button. Tap it.
5) Tap “Redeem Download Code.”
6) Enter your Code.
7) Make sure you have sufficient memory blocks in your Nintendo 3DS for the game. If you don’t, you’ll be asked if you want to visit the Data Settings menu to get your things in order. Once you clear enough space, you’ll automatically be taken back to the game download page and the download process will resume.
8) You’ll be asked if you want to “Download Now” or “Download Later.” If you choose “Download Now,” the game will download immediately; if you choose “Download Later,” the download will start as soon as you put the 3DS in Sleep Mode (close it).
9) If you’ve done everything correctly, your game should begin downloading (or will begin when you close the system). “Unwrap” the game on the 3DS’s Main Menu when it’s done!